Sunday, January 25, 2009

Ja matta Okinawa

Our time on Okinawa has just about come to an end.
Although we don't yet know as of now where we will go, we will be leaving in about 3 months!
I have missed my family and friends so so so much since we've been so far away. I have missed a niece and a nephew being born. I have missed my sisters wedding. And I have missed two funerals. And in March I will miss my little sister going into the MTC, and if I don't see her when she departs to Cambodia, it will have been almost 5 years before I see her again!
However, I have love love loved being here. I learned Japanese in high school and so coming here was a dream come true. I love the sights and the people here are so kind. Okinawa has a slow paced way of life and it's almost calming. I love the beach, to swim or just lay out on the sand. I get a kick out of American Village that sells anything from used leather jackets to American license plates, and the gift shops that for some reason always sell Spam.
And although my time away from my family is over due, there are many things that I will miss in Oki.
I will miss Chula-u's free foot bath (Ashiyu) with its natural hot spring water. I will miss all the neat attractions here like the castle ruins, Ocean Expo, Butterfly Park, and the crazy crazy parks with nets ropes and rings that are ridicuously dangerous for children to play on. (but fun)
I will miss driving around the shoreline and taking in the beauty of Okinawa's sapphire ocean.
What I think I will miss the most is probably all the wonderfuly delicious SUSHI!!!!!!!
I don't know how I am ever going to eat sushi in the States after enjoying the most fresh and delectable fish and Japanese dishes here.
So in the next three months I am going to see everything again, and eat so much sushi it will come out of my nose!
I don't want to leave here with any regrets......

2 comments:

Taryn said...

I hope you get stationed close, but I feel for you at the same time. I know how much you love it there.

Frisbys in Germany said...

We are hoping for something close too. cross your fingers-we find out in two weeks!!!